Principles of Stem Cell Biology - BIO 534
This course will include discussion of stem cell characteristics, types, roles in development, therapeutic uses, historical perspectives and ethical issues. Following the completion of this couse, students will be able to;
- Compare characteristics of embryonic, tissue-specific, and induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Explain the developmental roles of stem cells, and basic cellular mechanisms involved in their maintenance and regulation.
- Describe the isolation and culture of stem cells, as well as current and potential therapeutic uses.
- Summarize the logic and techniques of critical experiments in stem cell biology and place these experiments in a historical context.
- Obtain, analyze, and discuss scientific papers in stem cell biology.
- Describe and evaluate challenges and ethical issues surrounding stem cell research.